Monthly Archives: October 2017

Harvest Update 2017 – And That’s All Folks

It feels in some ways that this has been a super long harvest and in others it fells so short. We had the rain on and off for the week in early October but since then the weather has been beautiful. Riesling has been very strange this year. There was a large crop and that led to many vineyards stalling out in the mid-teens for Brix and moving very slowly. The best growers as always managed to produce beautiful fruit regardless.


The barrel fermented Blaufrankisch is settled into barrels (for aging this time) and going through ML. It looks very promising. We finally picked our Riesling for 240 Days last week and it is getting ready to go through primary fermentation. The 240 Days Rose looks and smells like pink Sauvignon Blanc which is super interesting and delicious. It just finished fermentation and will get sulfur this week. Also on my list soon is getting the 2016 Cabernet Franc out of barrels and blended.

​​
I know the snow is coming soon and with it a slow down in my travels but greater focus on what is happening in the winery. The start of the 240 Days of winemaking is upon us!

As a side note, I’m excited to announce my blog has been named one of the top 100 wine blogs on Feedspot, was listed as one of the top 10 wine blogs on 10Greatest.com, and I did a quick interview with the WSET out of London.  Find that full article here.  All in all it’s been a great week!

Harvest 2017 Update

Harvest is usually crazy but this year seems busier than most. After a super cool and very rainy summer we have had several weeks of warm, dry weather which was much needed. 

Riesling for Trestle Thirty One


Unfortunately, the four weather forecast models that I look at this time of year are inconsistent on the next week. As of now, it looks like it will rain. It is uncertain if it will be a few days or a week of rain. Either way it is not what one wants this time of year if one is a winemaker. 

One of the exciting things I’m trying this harvest is a barrel fermented red using Blaufrankisch. The first thing we had to do was remove the barrel heads. Coopering is something I’ve never tried before but after searching the internet I was able to get enough info to be dangerous. 


Two of my team mates and I got together to take apart some barrels last weekend. The hoops needed to be removed then the barrel head then the hoops needed to be replaced. After the first one held water, we felt more confident moving forward. Finally we had five barrels prepped and ready to fill with fruit this week. 

Now I have Chardonnay in a barrel and stainless drums, Blaufrankisch in barrels, and Cabernet Franc, Riesling, and Rose in tanks. 

I can’t wait to see how this turns out.